Sunday, April 24, 2011

DAZ Studio: how I resolved some stupid database related problem

I spent most of my time yesterday to make Daz Studio 3.1.2.24 working on my Windows 7 (running MacMini), and finally everything is working as I expected.  Before I move on, I better write down what I learned so that I won't repeat the same mistake again and again.

The problem started when I switched to my Windows 7 on My MacMini, and found that I couldn't search any content in the database, and then when I tried to refresh the database by scanning the content, the scanning process always died prematurely, either just finished without anything done, or brought down the whole application all together.

So here's the tricks I learned:
  • The best way to rebuild the database is actually DELETING the database and start from scratch.  All the attempt to rebuild a messed up database is waste of time at the time.  To delete the database, simple go to C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio3 and delete the file "Content".  There's also another "Content-journal".  I removed that away too, and did seemed to harm anything.  The next time you start searching new content, a new database will be built.
  • If, after create the database, and the scanning process still die prematurely, try MOVE everything else out of the content directory (in C:\Users\{user name}\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio3\content) and left "Runtime" folder there.  Try scan content again.  In my case it always work out.  And then you put bacl the rest of the other content and scan again.  That resolved my problem.
  • If you want all the machine running DazStudio to be able to open any of the files you created on any of the machine, then make sure that the content directory structure used by Daz Studio on all machines are the same.  I struggled about why one machine failed to open the file created by another machine, and eventually found out (by reading the log file) that the daz file expecting some materials that were in different folders.  So I realign all the content structures on all machines, and files were then opened properly.
  • Log file is important when there's something wrong.  You can find the log file at "C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio3", and the file is log.txt.

No comments: