Monday, December 24, 2012

Daz Studio again, and this time with Windows 8

I haven't been using Daz Studio for a long while, and after I reinstalled Windows 8 on my Mac Mini, I was thinking of using it again, but only to find out that almost all my older version of Daz Studio installation was failed to start.  The latest ones will probably work, but I also want to make sure that I have a working older version to roll back to in case the latest one creates more problem than it tried to solve.

So I finally found that DAZ.Studio.PRO.4.0.2.35.x64 works.  Thus I did the installation with the following setting:

Destination Folder: C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4
Content Directory: C:\Users\dkwan\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library

And for content management service, I once again use the default:
Install Location: C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service
Database Location: C:\ProgramData\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases

Then I set up my SyncToy to Sync between "C:\Users\dkwan\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library" and "\\Deecaypc\z\_ Frequently Install Software\Ultimate Poser Vault\content".

All seemed working fine .... except that when I tried to save file, the File Dialog just totally screwed up, rendered the application unusable.

So I have no choice but fire up the DAZStudio_4.5.1.6_Win64.exe and installed DazStudio 4.5 on my Windows 8 Pro environment (on my Mac Mini, late 2009 edition).

And that DID NOT help.  And I was puzzled about whether it's the installation application's problem.  So I tried installing the same Daz Studio 4.5 on Dell Precision M6600.  Guess what, it has ZERO problem.

Since I tried unintalled a few times on MacMini and I still go the same messed up File Dialogue, I gave up.  After all, the performance of using Daz Studio on that MacMini late 2009 is horrible anyway.  May as well just use the Dell M6600 for a while.

To make sure all my setting are preserved after I returned the M6600, I add a SyncToy schronization pair with "\\192.168.2.10\z\_ Frequently Install Software\Ultimate Poser Vault\content" and "C:\ProgramData\DAZ 3D\My DAZ Library".  Let me see how things work out later.




No comments: